It’s spring-cleaning time. To help get you started, we have put together a list of tips on cleaning your lamp shades.
For Velvet or Silk Lamp Shades
If you have velvet or silk lamp shades, you want to hire a professional to clean them. But for other types of fabric shades, here are a few handy tips. Shades are huge dust collectors, so you want to be sure to clean them periodically.
For Fabric Lamp Shades
- Fill bathtub with lukewarm water
- Insert two capfuls of Woolite and stir
- Gently roll shade from side to side in the water
- Distribute water evenly over the shade
- Use a sponge or rag to help if needed
- Use damp sponge or cloth over the shade to rinse off solution
- Be sure to wipe inside and outside of shade
- Blot the shade dry with colorfast towel or paper towel
- Do not leave droplets on the shade to cause water spots
- Place on bottom rim on a clean towel on a flat surface
- Let shade air dry until completely dry
- Return shade to lamp when dry
For Non Fabric Lamp Shades
- For non fabric shades, use a feather duster outdoors to remove dust.
- Don’t use a wet cloth or sponge. You’ll just create mud on the shade.
- Replace shade if it gets too dirty. That’s cheaper and healthier than living with a dirty, dusty one.
As always, we hope that you enjoy this post and find it helpful in restyling the place you live into the place you love!